There’s a reason why Colossus is Thorpe Park’s long-standing roller coaster ride! Not only was Colossus the coaster that rocked the theme-park-world and put Thorpe Park on the map. This steel roller coaster is a real family favourite, lasting only 1 minute 45 seconds, families are propelled through ten loops and pushed to their physical limits!
Curious? Find out everything you need to know about this fear-inducing roller coaster below…
Why you should take a ride on Colossus...
Soar 98 ft in the air, cutting through skies and swooping down below through The Lost City. Families can expect surprises hidden around every curved corner on this looping roller coaster. Prepare your vocal chords for the scream-tastic quadruple heartline roll too!
By no means is this going to be a smooth ride… but the thrills are guaranteed. Are you ready?
What's the theme of the ride?
What gives the themed land its compelling look and atmosphere is the luscious vegetation, a variety of idols, statues and some including nice water features. The Lost City is located by a lake making it an idyllic spot to recover from those extra barrel rolls, snappy corkscrews and whippy inversions.
What is Colossus?
The steel roller coaster track continues with two corkscrews and four consecutive heartline rolls from clockwise heartline rolls and counterclockwise heartline rolls, just 10 ft above the ground.
Age suitability / height restrictions?
When did it first open?
What is the average queue time?
Non-Ambulant & Wheelchair access
- You must have full upper body strength including head and neck control and be able to brace against the forces.
Missing Limb or Amputation Information
- Riders must have a minimum of 3 full limbs.
- Missing or amputated arms or legs must be below the elbow or the knee.
- This ride is suitable for non-ambulant riders, you must be able to transfer into the ride seat with assistance.
- In the event of a lift evacuation you must be able to pull yourself up and out of the seat at an inclined angle and make a 180 degree turn onto the walkway with a waist harness.
- For non-ambulant riders, an evacuation chair is present to assist with the descent from the lift.
All ride details...
- 44 mph top speed
- You must be at least 1.4m to ride
- World’s first 10 looping roller coaster
- 98ft height
- Maximum torso restriction 51 inches
So, now you know the basics do you think you can handle all of those consecutive barrel rolls? What about the shaped cobra roll or the counter-clockwise heartline roll?
Once you overcome your initial moment of dread at the top of the tall lift hill and embrace the exhilarating inversions and consecutive corkscrews, Colossus at Thorpe Park is sure to become one of your favourite rides of all time!
Do you feel more prepared for your day out with the kids at Thorpe Park? Colossus is one of many dazzling coasters at Thorpe park that you should visit. We have many articles about rides at Thorpe Park such as Stealth, SAW the ride, The Flying Fish and Rush. If you are looking for Thorpe Park tickets head over to our ticketing page.
If you are looking for theme park articles abroad why not check out our Siam Water park article or our Disneyland Paris Hotels breakdown. Gear yourself up with all the theme park knowledge you need to better plan your days out and UK staycations.