We can’t quite believe how quickly August has gone, but there’s still plenty of time to enjoy a great day out this summer thanks to the August Bank Holiday! We've rounded up 15 fantastic things to do this August bank holiday, from great days out inspiration to fantastic family events, round up the kids and make the most of the last few days of August!
Day out in the East Midlands
Planning a day out and wondering how you’ll get there? With train stations close by some of the best attractions and days out, East Midlands Railway are the best way to travel to top days out, and it's all stress free! From Gulliver's Kingdom to The National Space Centre, there's plenty of adventure just a train ride away, plus you'll be able to sit back and take in the stunning views from the comfy train seats, anyone up for a game of 'I Spy'?
Book tickets now
- Day Out With Thomas, National
All aboard for a day of family fun with Thomas & Friends! It’s full steam ahead for summer fun at Day Out With Thomas this bank holiday, and Thomas and The Fat Controller have come all the way from the Island of Sodor for a special celebration at a heritage railway near you. Take a train ride with Thomas, meet the Fat Controller, get in lots of laughs with Sodor Station Sweepers Rusty and Dusty, plus enjoy many more Thomas & Friends activities!
Find events near you now
- Teddy Bear’s picnic at Crich Tramway Village, Derbyshire
Bring along your teddy bear and head off on a real life teddy bear’s picnic at Crich Tramway Village this bank holiday! Follow along the Teddy Trail and keep your eyes peeled for live teddy appearances, plus enjoy plenty of special teddy themed crafts!
- Museum of the Moon, Kensington and Chelsea Festival, London
Fancy a day out where you can see the moon? Head over to Kensington and Chelsea Festival in London, where you'll get to see the moon on tour! This giant inflatable moon is currently on tour, and is stopping off at the festival just in time for bank holiday weekend...
- Super Summer at Hestercombe, Somerset
Enjoy the last few days of August with the Super Summer event at Hestercombe House and Gardens, where you’ll find wildlife, music, and plenty of fun! Enjoy kid-friendly yoga, explore one of the fantastic garden trails, and you can even try out some archery too!
- Extra Summer Fun at Godstone Farm, Surrey
Add in some extra fun at Godstone Farm this bank holiday and enjoy plenty of hands-on activities! Say hi to the resident pigs at Pig Feeding time, enjoy a ‘Hogsacle’, plus settle down for Story Time with Dinosaur Squeak!, and if you’re a dino fan, don’t miss the Dinosaur Roar! Meet and greet too!
- Celebrate Mr Men & Little Miss at York Maze, North Yorkshire
Celebrate everyone’s favourite picture books at York Maze this bank holiday and discover the biggest maize maze in Europe! As you explore the maize maze fields, keep your eyes peeled for all of your favourite characters along the way, plus if you find them all there could even be a prize up for grabs...
- Giant Summer Duck Hunt at WWT Martin Mere Wetland Centre, LancashireWe hope you’re in the mood for an exciting hunt at WWT Martin Mere this bank holiday! 25 giant rubber ducks have been hidden around the wetlands, and it’s up to you to find them all! After you’ve found all the yellow ducks, it’s time to get creative in the craft room, plus if you colour in your rubber duck and bring it back on Bank Holiday Monday your mini duck can take part in the Annual Duck Race too!
- Hitchin Lavender, Hertfordshire
Celebrate the end of August with a trip to Hitchin Lavender fields.Not only will you discover rows and rows of beautiful lavender flowers, but when you visit at the end of August, you may also get to see some of the beautiful bright sunflowers too!
- Summer of Fun at Fishers Adventure Farm Park, West Sussex
Enjoy your bank holiday at Fishers Adventure Farm Park and discover plenty of fantastic family events to get involved in! Prepare to be wowed by the incredible magicians, hop aboard and enjoy a pony ride or even a tractor ride, plus get groovy on the dance floor with the family Disco too!
- Jurassic Summer Adventure 2021 at Stockeld Park, West Yorkshire
Got mini dinosaur fans? Head over to Stockeld Park and experience a Jurassic Summer! Go wild on the 5 adventure playgrounds, head into the Enchanted Forest and see how many dinosaurs you’ll find, and if you’re brave enough head into the maze, just make sure there’s no T-Rex following you!
- Summer Holidays at Wookey Hole, Somerset
Discover over 20 fantastic attractions at Wookey Hole this bank holiday! From touring the magnificent caves and meeting the infamous witch of Wookey Hole, plus play a round of adventure golf and let off steam in the Wizard’s play castle too! Oh, and did we mention there’s dinosaurs in the Valley too/
- Stonehenge Kids’ Dig, Wiltshire
If you’re looking for a hands-on bank holiday day out, head over to Stonehenge and discover the Kids’ Dig! Try your hand at unearthing the past in the special Stonehenge sandboxes, where you’ll find plenty of artefacts from across the centuries all waiting to be excavated.
- Sali the Seagull Trail at the National Waterfront Museum, Glamorgan & Cardiff
Head over to the National Waterfront Museum and get ready for a fantastic special family trail and try to spot the seagulls perched around the galleries and hiding. There’s 7 seagulls hiding around the galleries, plus each seagull will have a special word to find and complete Sali Seagull’s Waterfront Adventure!
- Kynren and 11Arches, County Durham See out the August Bank Holiday with a bang at Kynren and get ready for an epic tale of England! Travel back through time and discover a fantastic live show packed full of myths, legends and excitement as you journey back through England's History. Plus head over to 11Arches where you'll find even more fantastic fun and things to do!
We hope you've enjoyed our list of things to do this bank holiday, don't forget to check out some of our other blogs for more inspiration and days out ideas!
Things to do in August | Summer days out | Best mini golf places | Best aquariums