Ready for the ultimate RHS gardens visit? Enjoy a beautiful day outdoors
in Harrogate at RHS Garden Harlow Carr, Harrogate
. This family-friendly garden has lots of natural play features for your cheeky monkeys to explore, including everyone’s favourite Tree House.
You’ll also get the chance to participate in plenty of different activities - choose your favourite chicken living in the Chicken Hotel, discover art exhibits in the garden and take part in fun seasonal events like The Four Seasons Sculptures.
If you are looking for things to do
for family holiday
activities or school holiday
activities, Harlow Carr is the place for you! This peaceful day out has lots of surprises in store for you & each of your senses...
Take a long walk amongst the flowers, or visit the Secret Garden where you’ll find a brilliant swing seat! From herbaceous borders to wildflower meadows, to an alpine house and woodland - you’ll be lost in stunning surroundings whichever path you take. Be sure to pass by the bird hide where your kids can see dozens of colourful feathered friends stop for a treat!
Itching for a vibrant plant selection and bold foliage? Pick up your feet and dash over to the Sub-tropicana Garden. The former Foliage Garden has been transformed into a tropical paradise bursting with eye-popping colour and unusual leaf shapes. Teaming with life, you can expect fascinating plants and trees like the Golden Indian Bean Tree, flourishing dahlias, and even bamboos!
Winding pathways, burnt autumnal leaves and heather beds - bliss right? In the Sandstone Rock Garden you can spot a range of plants such as dwarf rhododendrons, slow-growing conifers and orchids. It's the perfect place to go for seasonal walks all-year round.
Like something out of a story book, the Magical Scented Garden is a treat for all your senses. Kids will love running through the woven, living willow arbour. Why not take a family photo under there or sit and enjoy the garden’s scents? There are Lavender-edged borders and topiary yew balls to add to the structure of the garden. In the vibrant Summer months, fragrant lilies take centre stage giving the garden the wow-factor.
Want to show the kids where there healthy meals
come from? The Kitchen Garden
is packed full of edible plants, vegetables, fruits and unusual crops used for dying and weaving. Watch this garden come alive throughout the seasons, watching the changes in the ripening crops. In the Summer you can see sweet peas, lettuce and more. In the Autumn pumpkins, chillies, brassicas take the stage. Visit the garden today and see what earthly treats are on offer throughout the seasons.
There are so many more public gardens to explore in Harlow Carr. Make sure to check out Lakeside Gardens, the Teaching Garden and more!
Fun Activities for Kids
DISCOVERY TRAIL ALERT! Ever wondered how you could portray human life through plants? One of Harlow Carr's most impressive trails is The Four Seasons giant sculpture trails.
Created by contemporary artist and filmmaker Philip Haas, the four and a half metres tall fibreglass heads are three-dimensional interpretations of Renaissance paintings created by Italian artist Giuseppe Arcimboldo in the late 16th-century. Each beautifully crafted sculpture follows a theme of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter in human form. Its arrangements of seasonal fruit, vegetables, flowers and crops leave people with an eye widening and mouth opening experience. Thought-provoking to say the least!
The grand scale of each monumental sculpture is something your kids will always remember. This trail makes Harlow Carr one of the most innovative gardens in the country. It's showing everyone horticultural excellence at its best!
Animals & Wildlife
Visit the special hedgehog-friendly area at RHS Garden Harlow and find out what a “hedgehog highway” is. You might even end up getting one of these in your garden...
Food & Drink
After a day of exploring the cream of the crop of North Yorkshire's
Gardens (if you'll pardon the pun!), you'll need somewhere to sit down and refuel. Enjoy homemade cakes, breads, chocolates, and hot & cold drinks at Betty's Tea House, Betty's Tea Rooms & Cafe & Betty's Shop! The Shop and Tea Rooms are located next to the garden entrance and the Tea House is located inside the garden.
- Four manual wheelchairs are available at the garden entrance for ‘on-the-day’ use. Advanced booking is recommended on 01423 724681.
- Three powered mobility scooters are available at the garden entrance for ‘on-the-day’ use. Advanced booking is recommended by calling 01423 724681, preferably with at least 24 hours’ notice. For safety, our scooters have a max weight limit of 20 st. To provide maximum availability to our visitors, they are available to book from 9.30am–1.30pm or 1.30pm–5pm (Mar–Oct) and 9.30am–3pm (Nov–Feb). If you wish to make a donation towards the ongoing upkeep of the vehicles, please speak to a member of the entrance staff.
- There is no land train type vehicle at Harlow Carr.
- Accessible unisex WCs and family change facilities are located just outside the main entrance and in Bettys Café Tea Rooms. Additional accessible WCs located in the Learning Centre and ambulant disabled WCs are located in the garden.
- There are approximately 200 benches sited around the garden at regular intervals. These are of varying height.
- Portable induction loops are available on request for use at the entrance and Garden Centre till points.
- Larger print maps are available. Please ask our staff at reception.
Travel & Parking
If you travel via public transport you are entitled to a discounted entrance ticket! All you need is proof of public transport or your walking route. Go car-free today!
RHS Garden Harlow Carr is situated on Crag Lane, off Otley Road (B6162) about a mile and a half from the centre of Harrogate. Car parking is free.
If you have a large vehicle or a vehicle with a tow bar, please park in car park two or three.
Thirty cycle racks are available at the gardens.
A lovely walk runs from Valley Gardens in Harrogate, up through the Pine Woods to RHS Garden Harlow Carr, taking approximately an hour at a leisurely pace. You can download a detailed map (759kB pdf)
or ask for a printed copy from the Harrogate Tourist Information Centre or RHS Garden Harlow Carr.
Take the X6a service running from Harrogate Bus Station to a bus stop close to RHS Garden Harlow Carr. Services vary, please check the Transdev Buses
website or telephone 01423 566 061.
- 58 acres of beautiful gardens to explore
- Climb in the Tree House and Logness Monster
- Lots of family-friendly events throughout the year