- Tourist Attractions
- Museums and Art Galleries
Ages: all ages
Venue type: Indoor and Outdoor
The Muckleburgh Collection has been so named after Muckleburgh Hill at the foot of which the military camp is situated. The site was an Anti-Aircraft Artillery range and along with a complementary camp at Stiffkey, represented the main live firing training ranges for ACK-ACK Command in World War II.
In 1986, work began to demolish nearly 200 old buildings on the site which were beyond repair. 45,000 tons of rubble was cleared away to make way for the Collection which was started in 1988 by Berry and Michael Savory.
The heart of the present Museum is the NAAFI building which underwent several years of restoration and enlargement. At the time of opening, the principal display consisted of 30 vehicles and a small room describing the camp history.
Since then, the Collection has grown to over 120 vehicles, tanks and guns with a back-up of 3,000 other exhibits. Across the meadow, in front of the main building, is the compound area. This remains virtually as it was in 1948 and is now used for the workshops and the storage of equipment awaiting restoration. One of these buildings also houses a large collection of operational radios from the early days of World War II.
- Restaurant Onsite
- Toilets Available
- Disabled Toilets Available
Getting There and Contact Information
Weybourne Military Camp, Weybourne, Norfolk, NR25 7EG, England
Standard Opening Times and Pricing
April - October
Monday to Sunday 10:00 - 17:00
Under 4s: Free