Whipsnade ZooDunstable, Bedfordshire
The UK’s Largest Zoo:
Whipsnade Zoo is one of the most impressive zoos in the UK…set in over 600 acres of the beautiful Chiltern Hills countryside, the attraction is an escape from the urban jungle.
They have a huge variety of animals, with over 10,000 amazing animals to discover, including rhinos, tigers, giraffes and elephants. Spend a day discovering new breeds you’ve never even heard of before, with lots of fascinating animal enclosures to explore!
A Full Day Of Wildlife Adventure:
With so much space to roam, you’ll want a full day out to enjoy the lions, tigers, rhinos, elephants, zebra, hippos and giraffes out and about in their large outdoor enclosures. Not to mention the lynx and European bison which were once commonplace in Britain.
Whipsnade Zoo is known for its diverse collection of animals and dedication to the conservation of animals. Will it be a furry friend you make today or a scaley one? How do you feel about feathery and flighty animals - do we know many? Take a dive into the blue and search for your new companion that lurks in the deep... With so many intriguing animal inclusions to choose from, who will you visit first?
Don’t miss the rockhopper and African black-footed residents of the penguin pool, with its epic views from the high Chiltern Downs over the surrounding countryside!
Discover new depths as you delve deeper into the fascinating underwater worlds of Whipsnade Zoo’s Aquarium, then bask in the tropical temperatures of the Butterfly House surrounded by hundreds of colourful butterflies.
The kids can also burn off some energy in the huge outdoor play area! It’s time to let imaginations run wild as kids explore over 7,800m² of themed play area including bridges, swings, climbing frames, tunnels, sand play, mini safari jeep and so much more!
Food & Drink:
Need to refuel after your fun family day out? At Whipsnade Zoo, there's a Bar & Restaurant to suit all your family needs! Enhance your fabulous experience with a meal at the Basecamp restaurant. Enjoy meat & meat-free sausage baguettes, burgers and soft drinks.
Check out the Viewpoint Restaurant - it's a restaurant kitchen and deli! With views overlooking incredible white rhinos, you can tuck into your Al Forno Pasta dishes and freshly made pizzas with the wow factor! Or dine with a classic afternoon tea.
Keep it traditional and quintessentially British with the Fish & Chip Van! Warm your cockles with a bag of chips or two. You can also enjoy hot drinks, cold drinks, saveloys, fresh fish and cheesy chips.
There is also the Station Store Picnic Shop which is open at weekends and school holidays Grab a selection of sandwiches, bakery items and hot & cold drinks! You can also get tasty snacks from the Visitor Centre - we recommend the scrumptious baps!
Got a sweet tooth? Head over to Africa Out Post for an ice cream hub and sweet treats galore - plus savoury food too!
Thirsty? Visitors have access to water refills at the water refill stations across the entire zoo.
ZSL Whipsnade Zoo is wheelchair accessible / wheelchair friendly with a number of ramps, disability hire and accessible toilet options across the entire attraction.
- All Animal indoor houses including Butterfly House and Aquarium Base Camp Restaurant and Viewpoint Kitchen and Deli .- Birds of the World Arena to view the displays.
- Hullabazoo indoor and outdoor play areas.
- Hullabazoo Farm.
- First Aid Point (next to the Visitor Centre).
- The steam train (Please note, two wheelchairs can be accommodated on the train per trip).
- Owl Wood - Access may cause wheelchair users some difficulty, as it is covered by bark chippings.
- Limited number of wheelchairs are available for hire on a first-come, first-served basis and it is advised to book them in advance of your visit by calling the Retail Shop on 01582 871517. - A deposit of £25 is required which will be refunded on the return of the wheelchair at the end of your visit.
- The wheelchairs are non-motorised and are not self-propelling.
- It is also possible to hire a mobility scooter which you should also book in advance of your visit. A mobility scooter will cost £20 to hire, plus a refundable deposit of £30.
Accessible toilet locations:
- Main entrance (RADAR key access; RADAR key available in the shop if required)
- Lawn area before Butterfly House/Aquarium Tigers/Base Camp Reindeer/Viewpoint Kitchen and Deli Hippos/Africa Outpost
- Carers: Carer tickets are free
- Over 200 different species
- Daily animal talks and demonstrations
- Fantastic seasonal events
Image Credit: ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- Monday, 10:00 - 16:00
- Tuesday, 10:00 - 16:00
- Wednesday, 10:00 - 16:00
- Thursday, 10:00 - 16:00
- Friday, 10:00 - 17:00
- Saturday, 10:00 - 17:00
- Sunday, 10:00 - 17:00
Pricing & Tickets
Adults from £27.00
Kids from £18.90
Concessions from £24.30
Prices vary by date, please check with the attraction for details.
Plan Your Visit
Typical visit time 4 - 5 hours
Suitable for Kids and Adults too
Yes there is parking.