Are you expecting and preparing all the baby essentials you’ll need for the birth and the baby’s life when you’re back home? It can be quite overwhelming, there are so many things to think of, but don’t worry, we’re here to help! We’ve made an extensive list of all the baby essentials you’ll need. Whether it’s in their nursery, your bedroom, the kitchen, on car journeys and wherever else!
Breathe in and out. You’ve got this momma and pops.
Baby essentials for the nursery
Hopefully, you have space for a nursery and if it’s already decorated then great! But now, you’ve got to fill it with everything (mostly) that a baby will need.
From most important, to least important (if there was ever a thing) here are nursery baby essentials:
- A baby cot, bedside crib or bassinet. The NHS recommends that the baby sleeps with you for the first 6 months. So, a bedside crib to be next to your bed is suggested.
- A flat, firm mattress that fits in the cot nicely. Not too tight or too loose. Preferably a two finger space between the crib mattress and the crib
- A pack of fitted cot sheets, so you’ve always got spare! Light blankets (although it’s not recommended for babies to sleep with blankets
- A baby monitor – like the Owlet Smart Sock V3 or Bluebell Smart Monitor
- A baby thermometer or night light – so the temp of the room is always known and the baby has a little light
- A nappy changing table and plenty of nappies!
- A rocking chair or a comfy chair for you to sit
- A nursing pillow and breast pump
- Baby toys
- Bedtime stories (if you would like to read to your baby)
- A baby bouncer
Baby essential items for the wardrobe
Babies will need a lot of clothes for the first year. They’ll be spitting up, drooling and all sorts of things. So, it’s best to have enough of everything, so you aren’t always waiting for a laundry wash.
- 5 muslin cloths
- 10 onesies or baby grows
- 10 one-piece PJs/cotton sleepsuit
- 10 pairs of socks
- Baby clothes – whether that’s t-shirts, bottoms and so on
- 1-3 rompers
- 1-3 newborn baby hats
- No scratch mittens
- 2 wearable blankets for when it’s cold
- Sleep sack
Baby bath time essentials
Babies are too small for bath time in your normal bath tub, so you need to find something suitable for their size. And everything baby friendly, there will be no tears here!
- A baby bath or bath support. This can be a small plastic bath-tub
- Baby bath thermometer (so you can be sure how hot the water is)
- Age-appropriate bath toys
- A changing mat, baby wipes, nappies, and cream
- Baby soap, and shampoo
- A soft cloth to help wash your baby
- Soft baby towels with a hood
- Baby hairbrush and nail clippers
Kitchen baby essentials
From ways to store their milk and keep it clean and warm, to items they’ll need when they start eating solid foods!
- A selection of baby bottles and dummies
- Baby spoons, bowls and plates (suction bowls, bowls that don’t tip over…)
- Bottle brush and bottle steriliser
- Plenty of washcloths
- Baby formula (if you’re not breastfeeding)
- Milk storage bags if you are breastfeeding
- Nursing pads
- A baby high chair
- Bottle warmer (although not optional)
Car travel baby essentials
So your baby can travel with ease, comfort and most importantly, safely.
- An infant car seats, preferably rear-facing (convertible or not)
- A pram or stroller
- Baby carrier
- Changing bag full of basic items and newborn baby essentials – nappies, nappy bags, wipes, change of clothes, dummy, socks/hat, bottle and muslin cloth
Things To Remember…
This comprehensive list of a bunch of baby things you’ll need may seem overwhelming. But just take it a step at a time, one room at a time, and eventually, you’ll have everything you and the baby will need.
Remember, being a parent is tough, so don’t be so hard on yourself. You’ve got this!