Taste of Spain: Classic Spanish tortilla recipe the kids will love
A great family recipe to make for any occasion, this classic Spanish tapa is just perfect cold as part of a picnic. Why not make it for your next day out?
This is a lovely recipe to have in your repertoire – I've never met anyone who doesn’t like it! It can be eaten warm or cold – I prefer the latter. Take your time with the cooking, and also season well – those are my tips for making a top tortilla. Yes, it is traditional to peel the potatoes but I don't as it's more healthy and rustic (plus, I can't be bothered). But they must be waxy; this is crucial. Feel free to add in leftover veggies or even cheese to make a more substantial meal.
Makes: 1 large tortilla
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 300g waxy potatoes, (I used Charlotte), not peeled but thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 5 eggs
- Thinly slice the peeled onion and potatoes and toss in a jug or bowl with oil and seasoning. I go in with my hands to ensure the vegetables are all separated and not stuck together.
- Heat a medium sized frying pan on low. Pop the veggies in the pan and slowly cook for about 25-20 minutes. Move them around gently. You don't want them to catch but a little colour is OK.
- When they are done, remove from pan and set them aside to cool a little in a cold bowl for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and add the cooled veggies to the them, mixing gently. Again, I use my hands to make sure they aren't all sticking together. Heat the same pan over low heat again - no more oil required. Slide the mixture in and level it out. Every now and then use a rubber fish slice or spatula to push the edges away so it doesn't stick.
- Let it cook slowly for about 20 minutes. Then carefully flip: using an upside down plate placed on top of the pan, flip the pan upside down (hold using a tea towel so you don't burn your hands) so the tortilla plops out onto it, then slide it back in to cook the other side for just 5 mins. Turn off heat and let it go cold or cool down in the pan.
- Serve with a salad or a spread of picnic / tapas things.
TIP: This is also fab served sliced alongside some ham and tomatoes for a healthy, Mediterranean-style breakfast or brunch.