Piece of Cake: Wholesome blueberry and banana cakes
This is a really adaptable recipe; the idea is that you try to make all the elements as healthy as possible, so for example I’ve replaced white flour with wholemeal spelt, sugar with honey, and milk with almond milk. But by all means if you have the regular versions in then just use those. Swap up blueberries for raspberries, or bananas for chunks of apple. It’s really up to you!
I like to make a big batch and freeze half of them and then get a few out when needed, the night before a day out for example.
Wholesome blueberry and banana cakes
Makes about 24
Takes: 40 mins
- 4 eggs
- 250ml milk (almond or normal)
- 250g butter, melted
- 340g honey (or brown sugar)
- 450g flour (wholemeal spelt flour or normal white flour)
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 200g blueberries
- 2 bananas, mashed
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Melt butter and let cool a little. Add to milk and honey and whisk.
- Measure dry ingredients out: flour, salt, baking powder and mix wet ingredients into dry.
- Fill paper cases with mixture.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool, then enjoy with a good cup of tea!