Ice, Ice, Baby: Easy ice cream summer crafts for kids
Ice cream is a big thing in our house, we moved from Essex to Cornwall a couple of years ago and at the time I set a challenge with my kids that we'd see how many different ice creams we could try out and we'd check if they were better than the ones in Essex - the answers were a) an awful lot and b) yes they are!
Summer is a great time for making some ice cream themed crafts and there's loads of different fun techniques to use, so you can take a look through the ones I'm sharing today and see which you fancy or which you've already got the materials for. Of course, while you're waiting for your masterpieces to dry there's only one real option for a summery snack, it'd be rude not to have an ice cream yourself...
Balloon printed ice cream craft
My kids seem to have brought home a lot of balloons from parties recently and once they've finished playing with them I thought it would be fun to give them a new lease of life with a bit of crafting.
What you need:
- White paper
- Brown card or cardboard
- Felt tip pens, including brown
- PVA glue
How to make this summer craft:
- To start with squeeze some paint onto a plate and then dip your balloon into it then carefully press your painted balloon down on to some paper - I find that white works best so that you can see the paint colours better.
- Next cut a triangle shape from some brown card or cardboard to make your cone and then draw the pattern onto this using a brown felt tip pen, we tend to raid the recycling bin for any cardboard from deliveries we've had making this a really cheap craft to do!
- Using PVA glue, stick your ice cream cone triangle onto the bottom of your painted ice cream.
- Once your paint is dry you can then decorate the ice cream with 'sprinkles' using felt tip pens or raid your craft cupboard to see what else you could use, mini poms poms would be fun too, especially for a cherry on the top!
More ice cream summer crafts for kids
Fancy making more ice cream crafts with your kids? I've rounded up some of my favourites that are perfect for kids.
Paper bowl ice cream - This 3D craft from my site Crafts on Sea would look great up on a bedroom wall and there’s a little video tutorial so you can see how it was made too.
Puffy paint ice cream - If you haven’t made puffy paint before this fun tutorial from Crafty Morning is a great excuse to try it out. The mint choc chip ice cream looks fantastic!
Footprint ice cream - If you don’t mind the kids getting a bit messy then this ice cream craft from I Heart Crafty Things would be a great way to create a keepsake from the summer, it’s always good to be able to look back and remember how little the kids were!
Egg carton ice cream cones - my daughter made these last year at nursery and I knew instantly that they’d got the idea from In The Playroom’s blog as I’d been looking at it too! This was one of her favourite crafts last year and one that she wanted to repeat loads.
Cotton pad ice cream craft - I’m a big fan of crafting with things we already own so this fun idea from Non-Toy Gifts looks perfect to me.