Baking Me Crazy: See what baking with kids is really like
With the Great British Bake Off hype still going strong, baking is one of those activities we all wish we had more time for. From creating cupcakes to enjoy with a cuppa, to attempting a Pinterest-style showstopper for a special occasion, there are so many fun things to cook up, and it's a great activity to do with the kids too.
But what happens when little hands head into the kitchen? Expect mess, mayhem and more, as Harriet and Edith show us that baking with kids is not always full of sprinkles and smiles... just maybe a lot of cinnamon.
And if you fancy making the cake that features, click here for how to make Harriet and Edith's blueberry tasty cake!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups blueberries
- 8oz Cream cheese
For the topping:
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350C and lightly grease a baking pan (13 x 9 x 2inch is recommended) and set to one side.
- In a large bowl (or better food processor) beat the cream cheese and butter until creamy.
- Add 2 cups of sugar, combine, and then alternate between 1 cup of flour and 1 egg until both are combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and blueberries.
- The batter is thick – this is fine. Pour into the top, sprinkle over the combined granulated sugar and cinnamon and bake for 50-60 minutes until baked.
- Leave in the baking dish or cut into squares and cool on a wire rack.